What NOT to Ask Your Professor

by beth on January 14, 2010

Dear Stu­dents,

I wanted to offer you some advice. If you have to ask the fol­low­ing ques­tions be pre­pared for your professor’s head to explode.

*Do I really have to buy the book?
*Do I have to actu­ally read in this class?
*Do I even have to come to class?
*Can’t you just give us all the answers for the exams?
*Are you, like, even old enough (or aren’t you like REALLY too old) to teach this class?
*Dead­lines are kinda hard for me, could these be optional deadlines?

So, word to the wise think these sorts of ques­tions in your head.

Do NOT ask your pro­fes­sor them, prior to the explod­ing head her/his answers will NOT be ones that you want to hear.

In addi­tion, to answers you never wanted to hear & an explod­ing head your pro­fes­sor may acci­den­tally lob an eraser in your gen­eral direc­tion. I mean how could it not hap­pen? THE PROF’S HEAD JUST EXPLODED!!

And for those won­der­ing, trust me when I tell you that the explod­ing head thing is not a pretty sight. It also leaves a nasty stain on your clothes.

1 mom2nji/jenni January 14, 2010 at 11:42 am

As an old person at back to school, I have to agree with all of these questions. Except maybe the one about the textbook. I am finding many professors do not use text books at all.

2 beth January 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Textbooks depend on the course & the college/university. I find that for upper level courses a text book doesn’t make sense & assigning it to students wouldn’t work, but for introductory courses textbooks can provide a wider range of material in a short time frame.

I always thought these things but never asked them. Many students (usually straight from high school) seem to ask them, aloud, & as a general question after getting the syllabus. I don’t get the actually asking part, it boggles my mind.

3 This Mama Works It! January 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hahahah this is hilarious! I also work at a college. But I work on the student affairs side talking to them about safe sex and risky behaviors. You should hear some of the questions I get asked.

4 Southern Belle Mama January 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Bless! I think I was guilty of thinking these questions, but had the good sense not to ask them in college!

5 faemom January 14, 2010 at 11:27 pm

It amazes me the stupidity of some college students. I remember being a student and thinking “I worked my ass off to get here and you’re that stupid. WTH?” Of course, I never did buy the complete collection of Shakespeare; I just checked out the plays as we went.

6 Kerri MuseumMama January 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm

“Will this be on the test?” That one is my favorite– I think I’ve heard it three times this week and I only teach one class.

7 Elle January 15, 2010 at 7:06 pm

This post made me laugh out loud. I have been in classes where students have asked questions like this, and I’VE wanted to bang my head against a wall. I always wondered what the instructor thought, and now I know. I think I’ll become a follower…I’m glad I found you through SITS!

8 angie January 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I love this list.

You know that you are my hero, right?

Intelligent…….nurturing (mother)…….highly educated……beautiful…….

Don’t think I’m a psycho. I just thought I should tell you. :)

9 beth January 20, 2010 at 9:23 am

You are too funny. Thank you, now if only I could get my children to all say that when they enter the teen years ;)