Paczki: Fried Dough Heaven

by beth on February 15, 2010

If you have never had the amaz­ing fried dough of paczki then I feel so sorry for you. I mean really, truly I do. These bad boys are a Fat Tues­day tra­di­tion here in Metro-Detroit they are EVERYWHERE. I mean EVERYWHERE!! How­ever, for these bad boys  Hubby went and picked these up today from a local bak­ery in Ham­tramck.  Any place in the States with a siz­able Pol­ish pop­u­la­tion will attest to the heav­enly good­ness of paczki, as a good­bye to sweet treats before Lent starts.

But if you are set­tling for a gro­cery store ver­sion then I want you to look closely at these. Then resolve to go this year or if you don’t have time this then next year you MUST resolve to a good bak­ery & get the real deal. Noth­ing sur­passes this. Abso-freakin’-lutely NOTHING. I’m now going to eat my way into a sug­ary fried dough coma.

1 Theta Mom February 15, 2010 at 2:24 pm

You are right – nothing compares to the real deal of a bakery.

And thanks so much for your thoughtful comment earlier. I actually have thought about the whole “community” idea, but I don’t want to start anything until I really think it through…I want to be sure I could put the required time & energy into it. I was thinking of maybe a section that highlights some blogging tips (posts) which may be a good place to start…

All food for thought…thanks for always being such an awesome supporter!

2 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

The real deal is essential.

Yea, I figured you probably had considered but thought I’d through it out again. Because you know I like to add more work to everyone’s plates :)

3 SB February 15, 2010 at 2:37 pm

wow. they look delectable — i presume you will be fasting for the next forty days?

4 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yep, feast then fast. I also couldn’t do these more than once a year. I’d need to be airlifted from my house if I ate them daily.

5 Michelle February 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm

OMG that looks like heaven!

6 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I am pretty sure these are in Heaven as well.

7 Andrea February 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Holy cow. Those look GOOOOOD.

8 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:07 pm

So good. I know I’m torturing people out there. Bad Beth. Bad Beth.

9 Petula February 15, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I’ve never had them, but you make them sound so good. Did you come out of your coma yet? LOL… Love the way you expressed that.

10 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

They are so good & sugar coma has been overcome but I still have a few hours left of this day of feasting I could succumb again :)

11 Jules February 15, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I’ve never heard of them but they look absolutely delicious.

12 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I think if you are in a big Polish town you can’t escape them. I know a few other cultures have something similar but by a different name, kinda like a rose is a rose even if by a different name. Same with fried dough goodness.

13 KellieS February 16, 2010 at 12:12 am

Those look so freakin good I want to jump into the computer screen! I hate that every REALLY good bakery that I’ve come across has withered with the bad economy and the “big superstore” trend. Do you have a recipe for your Paczki dough? If you do, you better give it to us!!!! Otherwise we’ll have to come up there to Detroit and kick your rear for showing us something so yummy and not a way to get them!!!!

14 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Oh, I should get a recipe out and make them myself. I know my husband & the kids would love that. I’ve had them homemade before & they are amazing. Hmm…I’m going to have to do some asking around now. Since usually we just buy them, no work & all the glory of eating them.

15 Amber February 16, 2010 at 12:20 am

They look amazing. I want one.

16 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I should send them out next year to people who lack their goodness in their area.

17 Dawn February 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Ick – never liked them but my students go nuts for them. We have a lot of Poles in Bay City so we get the real deal too from Krzyiak’s, not any ole Tim Hortons you know.

Happy Fat Tuesday! I had to laugh at the one comment about fasting for the next 40 days, those paczki’s would definitely kill you if you had one every day.

18 beth February 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

OH MY YES!! They sure would kill you given all the fat & sugar in them. They are definitely a holdover from the old days of the stricter fasting.

I’ve never been to Krzyiak’s when in Bay City, we should check it out the next time.

19 The Wind Attack February 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm

You’re killing me! This is like the one day of the year that moving from Michigan to California seems regretful. Ohh how I miss thee, Paczki!!!

20 beth February 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm

At least you will always have Detroit & the memories. Or you could just lick your screen but that might be weird ;)

21 Drama Queen February 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I was born and raised in Detroit and we often went to Hamtramck for Polish food. For some reason I was never introduced to Paczki and never heard of them until about 10 years ago. I no longer live in the Detroit area and Hamtramck is no longer a Polish community but I am still curious about these little donuts. Thanks for publishing the recipe. Going to make these for sure.

22 Drama Queen February 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I meant thanks for publishing the photo as a reminder to me to make them. I already have the recipe.

23 beth February 16, 2010 at 8:19 pm

It’s very true Hamtramck isn’t as strong as it once was for the Polish community, there are still pockets of Poles in the city but not the same as it once was. But now there is a huge center Troy and a growing community in that area. Although you still have some die-hards in Hamtramck.

I’m glad that it inspired you to make your recipe!

24 TasteStopping February 16, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I grew up in Michigan and have never associated any particular food with my home state…except for the paczki. There is no sizable Polish population within reasonable driving distance to me right now, so that means Fat Tuesday comes and goes without the hope of having one to celebrate. However, I love seeing them all over the Internet. It reminds me that I’m not crazy to remember these delicacies as the best thing about Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday in Michigan!

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor

25 tiina February 17, 2010 at 3:12 am

Those look amazing, and actually a lot like Scandinavian cream filled baked goods that we enjoy this time of year. Here’s my post about them from last year. http://entertaininganytime.typepad.com/sparkling_ink/2009/02/-strawberry-cream-puffs-.html

What a great blog you have here! Glad to meet you:)