I’m A Mad Housewife

by beth on February 26, 2010

I am going to admit some­thing to you all, some­times I buy wine because the title or the bot­tle makes me smile. It has noth­ing to do with whether or not the wine scored a cer­tain rat­ing or if it has legs a mile long. Instead it sim­ply makes me smile & some­times I gig­gle with glee.

When I shop­ping I saw this bot­tle and I bought it. It was under 10 dol­lars so I fig­ured why not? I bought it on noth­ing other than the bot­tle made me happy. I con­fess I know this is a hor­ri­ble and unfor­giv­able wine con­nois­seur sin but I am not one. I am sim­ply some­body who likes to have fun. And I think the bot­tle screams, I’m a mad & des­per­ate house­wife in need of a lit­tle fun. Don’t you?

Even the back has a lit­tle story about the wine. And yes, I know if my old boss who spent hours upon hours teach­ing me about the finer points of wine saw that I bought a bot­tle sim­ply for fun I am sure his head would implode. But you know what? Life is too short. It’s got a lit­tle vanilla mean­der­ing, refresh­ing taste, but is drier at the end. Not a bad wine for under 10 dol­lars. So grab a bot­tle & smile with me.

1 KanesMom February 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Okay. I LOVE this. I have been known (as well as my husband) to do the same. We have bought bottles of “Uncle Dick” to give as gifts since his name is Richard. It was surprisingly good. We have bought “Evil” and her twin sister “B*tch” – And you know what? They were good as well. Its always fun to grab a bottle that has made you smile, and what a bonus if it tastes good!

2 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:50 am

Those are fun titles. I think finding fun in life & not being so serious all the time is always good.

3 Southern Belle Mama February 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm

This is how I base most of my wine selection, so I see nothing wrong with it. I am not one of those ladies who can taste certain woods, flowers or fruits in my wine. I taste alcohol, and if it has a cute label that’s usually enough to sell me. :) Where did you find this one at?

4 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

I found it a local market (it’s family run & so I think they offer more variety), they have a pretty good selection of wines. But they are not a specialty store per se.

5 Messy@Bungalow'56 February 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I might just have to start drinking wine, just to be able to buy that bottle.
Dana

6 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:51 am

LOL :D

7 La Jolla Mom February 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I’ve been meaning to buy this. Did you like it? I think they are on Twitter.

8 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

It was pretty good for being under 10. It was a little dry but I didn’t mind that. I thought it was full-bodied overall.

Oh & how my old boss would be proud that I remember full-bodied.

9 Michelle February 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I too buy wine that looks like fun! :)

10 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

Good to know I’m not alone :)

11 SB February 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm

ha ha! I think I will have to try this! you’re funny!
-SB

not too serious i hope

12 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

Thanks, my children often tell me the opposite “Mom you are SO not funny”

13 Shell February 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Love it! Going to have to try this!

14 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

It’s worth it for under 10 bucks.

15 amber February 26, 2010 at 8:12 pm

If I’m going to drink, I’m going to drink something fun! I’ll have to find me some of this…

16 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:53 am

Might as well have some fun!

17 Mary@The Writer's Block February 26, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Oh, right there with you! I actually like the Mad Housewife Merlot but only tried it the first time because of the label.

Someone once told me that she was not a wine connoisseur; she was a wine LABEL connoisseur! That’s me. If it’s got an unusual name/picture and not too pricey, I’ll try it once.

In fact, the last bottle I chose had a red label with a donkey’s picture and it was called Kiss My Ass. C’mon! We HAD to check that out (and it was good, too!). ;)

18 beth February 27, 2010 at 8:54 am

I will have to check out the merlot. And I love the idea of being a label connoisseur that’s the best line ever.

19 Caroline February 27, 2010 at 8:27 am

I have never seen that bottle! It is cute, but at a time when the topic of alcoholic moms is so prominent in the news, it is kind of startling. Not that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, certainly, but that particular topic is getting a lot of attention.

It is a cute bottle though.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest

20 beth February 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

Yep, I bought the bottle purely on the cute factor not for the possible larger social implications or social constructions of motherhood & alcoholism. In fact, I didn’t even consider it when I put it my cart & I’m guessing the majority of people who pass it on the shelves don’t.

21 Caroline February 27, 2010 at 9:43 am

Only an alcoholic or someone well on their way to alcoholism would, if that tells you anything about where I’m coming from. I loved this post, still, though

22 Lanita Moss February 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Evidently, the American wine industry did a study (don’t ask where to find it) and they found that more women bought wine than men. So they started marketing to the woman buyer with cuter, prettier and funnier labels. A woman is more likely to buy the wine if the label intrigues her. Case in point. Notice that the French haven’t figured this out yet? Now I will have to go look for this label, because it intrigues me!

23 Valerie February 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I choose the books I read based on the cover, so why not wine, too?!

Although, like a pp, I need to start being a wine drinker first… lol

I love this bottle!

Cheers!

24 smilinggreenmom February 27, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hilarious! I would have to buy that too just for fun! But then – I am all about cheap wine. Sorry! I even like the stuff from a box lol :) I am not too hard to please I guess.

25 Eclipsed February 27, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I’ve never seen that one! I’ve also bought wine for the title, Marilyn Merlot, Cheap Red Wine, etc. I’m a sucker for clever marketing.

26 joann mannix February 27, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Oh, I’m so glad I found you! I was going through an old blog post looking for a commenters blog address when I saw your comment. I thought I’d put you into my google reader, but I think I might have put your old blog address…I don’t know. But, anythehellway, I realized I hadn’t been reading anything of yours, so here I am, for good! Sorry to babble on, but I’m a babbler.

This wine keeps catching my eye in the wine store, because yes, I’m a sucker for the label. My husband and I have a fairly large wine collection and he’s all snooty about his wine. I know he’d raise an eyebrow if I poured a glass of that. I’m going to buy it tomorrow.

Love your blog! I’m going to go snoop around some, now.

27 Pam February 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Saw this recently but yet to try it….Layer Cake is a good one too…

28 faemom March 1, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I would totally buy wine just by the name and picture. Actually I bought some Vampire wine. My husband, the actual wine drinker, wanted to die. What do I care? I don’t drink.

29 Unknown Mami March 6, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I bought that before and did a post about it!

30 Stephanie Turner December 16, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I love this wine. It is one of my favorites. I too am guilty of purchasing wine because of the bottle label. Infact, if I do not like the label I will not buy the wine. Love Love Love this one though. I highly recommend.