Beef Stew

by beth on May 12, 2010

DSC_020012

I mar­ried a meat and pota­toes guy. Which is kind of crazy because when we met and were mar­ried he was a veg­e­tar­ian, he had been for 5 years until on our hon­ey­moon in Hawaii when he had a bite of fish. And even then he didn’t come home & dive into meat. But deep down lurk­ing beneath the sur­face was a meat eater. That doesn’t mean he still doesn’t enjoy a meat-less meal or that we don’t make meat-less meals as a reg­u­lar part of our life, the deli­ciously sim­ple dish of Mujadara or Spinach pie shows oth­er­wise.

How­ever, he does like a hearty beef stew with all it’s fine fix­ins. And because I’m such a peo­ple pleaser, I am happy to make him a sim­ple & easy crock­pot beef stew. It’s a per­fect dish for the hec­tic day when you can start it early before the day gets too crazy. It was also per­fect the other night when it was cold & rainy. It warmed us up from the inside out.

What You Need:

1.5 lb Beef Stew Meat
1/4–1/2 Cup Flour
2 Cloves Gar­lic (minced)
1/2 Tea­spoon Salt
1/2 Tea­spoon Pep­per
1 Tea­spoon Paprika
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tea­spoons Worces­ter­shire Sauce
1/2 Cup Red Wine
2 Cups Beef Broth
2 Large Rus­set Pota­toes (cubed)
1 yel­low onion (finely diced)
5 Car­rots (cubed)

How to Put it Together:

Place meat in a large plas­tic bag. Com­bine 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour (you will need it to cover your meat) with 1/2 tea­spoon salt & 1/2 tea­spoon pep­per; pour into the bag with the meat, shake to coat. Then heat 2 table­spoons olive oil in a large skil­let over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, and cook until evenly browned on the out­side, you want to sear the meat. It takes a few min­utes. Then remove your stew meat & place in your crockpot.

After this take your finely diced onion and put it in the same skil­let, with 1 table­spoon olive, and cook so your onions are translu­cent. This means you will begin to see through the onions & they are soft. You can then add in your red wine to make sure all the good bits are lifted off the skil­let & pour the con­tents of the skil­let into the crock­pot. You want to get all the good bits from the meat and the onions up, so you don’t lose the fla­vor they give.

Now that you have your meat, onions & red wine in your crock­pot you will want to add in the gar­lic, bay leaf, paprika, Worces­ter­shire sauce, beef broth, potatoes,and car­rots. Your pota­toes and car­rots should be chopped into mouth­ful bites. I know usu­ally cel­ery is part of a beef stew, but my chil­dren run from cel­ery lately so I made it with­out. If you decide to add cel­ery, about 2 diced stalks would suffice.

Cover, and cook on Low set­ting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High set­ting for 5 to 6 hours. It feeds a nice serv­ing to 4–6 peo­ple. A per­fect way to have a hearty beef stew with­out hav­ing to worry about rush­ing around right at din­ner time. Just grab a bowl, spoon & peo­ple you love to share good food with!

1 debbie May 12, 2010 at 10:12 am

I’m doing a roast today! Great minds think alike:)

2 Alexandra May 12, 2010 at 11:11 am

Hello.

Wanted to thank you for yesterday’s Laugh. That was wonderful, I’ve never seen it before.

I love this recipe,too, it is delicious. I never get tired of beef stew, and my children love it, too.

The best part? Your house smells so wonderful when you come in from the outside.

Very nice. Thank you.

3 ali May 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

Sounds great! I love slow cooker recipes this time of year when we’re rushing around trying to get to baseball practice and games!

4 Blond Duck May 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm

There’s nothing better than a hearty beef stew after a long day.

5 Kristy May 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm

MMMM beef stew (growly voice). Sounds good. And some crusty bread.

6 Kristin May 12, 2010 at 7:41 pm

YUM, that sounds so delicious! Perfect rainy day fare for sure!

7 Jamie May 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm

That looks so good! We’re having frozen pizza tonight since I am too busy replying to comments to make dinner. *lol* SITS day only happens once, I think I deserve a day off. Haha

Thank you for stopping by and making my SITS day so fabulous!

8 Amber May 13, 2010 at 12:40 am

I will definately try this. I LOVE beef stew.

9 Sorta Southern Single Mom May 13, 2010 at 7:29 am

Looks yummy, my SITStah! Who doesn’t love a good beef stew…well, my kids…but I’m working on them!

10 malia May 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I wish I could eat this right now!

11 Tessa October 29, 2010 at 1:28 am

Just made this tonight for my boyfriend and I, it was to die for!! We both loved it!! And I had to smell it all day!! The hardest part was not going over to the crock pot and opening the lid to get a better smell. I also made some home made french bread to go with it. This is definitely going to be apart of our meals to make on a regular basis. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!

12 matt gordon November 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I found you on tastespotting and am excited to try this. my wife is 8 months pregnant and we need a warm dish today. i plan on buffalo meat as a sub and mirin or apple cider vinegar instead of red wine. this is great and i am pleased that tastespotting picked yours up

warm regards from columbus ohio

13 Allan April 6, 2011 at 1:27 am

1/2 cup of flour is called for in the ingredient list, but only 1/4 cup seems to actually be used. Is there a step using another 1/4 cup of flour that’s been left out?

14 beth April 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

It should read a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup depending on how much you need to cover your meat when you coat it. I’ve updated it, thank you for asking!

15 Lilly April 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow this sounds absolutely amazing!! I’m going out to the market right now so I can make it tomorrow…. Yum!!

16 Alice Lover August 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

Looks so flavourful, what a great stew. What is that on the side, looks like some sort of squash?

17 Leslie October 15, 2011 at 9:14 am

I stumbled across this site while searching for “beet stew crockpot”, what a great find! Great recipe and a few laughs later, I had me a meal! Thx!

18 Gwynne October 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I recently had to relocate with only the basics; now that the weather is turning, I REALLY missed my slow cooker; found one for $5 at estate sale, simply googled “crockpot beef stew” and your recipe looked the best! My apartment smells ohsogood right now and it will smell good for the next 7 hours – an exercise in waiting, it will be difficult but will be worth the wait, I can tell already.

19 Steve February 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I love this one. I use College in Bold stock for the beef stock… It is very good.

20 laura October 8, 2012 at 6:56 am

How much beef broth is needed?

21 mark November 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm