Rosemary & Thyme Quick Bread

by beth on May 17, 2010

4615917958_a8e495266f

The other night I decided to make a quick bread to go with our beef stew.  I wanted some­thing that would be crusty and thick.  Also, it had to hold up well against a hearty stew.  I ended up mix­ing up a Rose­mary & Thyme Quick Bread.  It was a pretty basic recipe that turned out to be a great lit­tle bread to whip together.   I loved how it turned out golden brown.  I also loved that my sec­ond child couldn’t stop eat­ing it and telling me how much he loved it.  He is a lover of carbs in all forms, just like his momma.

What You Need:

2 Cups of Bread Flour
2 Tea­spoons Bak­ing Pow­der
1/2 Tea­spoon of Salt
1/2 Tea­spoon Rose­mary (dried)
1/2 Tea­spoon Thyme (dried)
1 Table­spoon Sugar
4 Table­spoons of Unsalted But­ter Melted
1 Cup Milk

1 Table­spoon Flour (for rolling dough)
1 Tea­spoon Melted But­ter (for but­ter­ing under­neath dough on cook­ing sheet)

2 Tea­spoon Melted But­ter (for but­ter­ing TOP of dough)

How To Put It Together:

Sift all the dry ingre­di­ents together into a bowl. Then add in your melted but­ter & milk. Mix together, I used my hands and brought it all together. Then put it on a very lightly floured board, I use my wooden din­ing table. Shape into an oblong bread.

Put it onto a but­tered cook­ing sheet.  Then brush the top with some melted but­ter. Place in a pre­heated oven for 25 min­utes (should be brown on top) at 425 degrees.

TCH_0337

Serve with more but­ter. What? I love but­ter. I mean seri­ously I love but­ter, I have an addiction.

1 Alexandra May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Butter, butter, and more butter.

Whenever anyone asks me if I’m afraid of all the butter I use, I tell them that Julia Child and her husband lived to be in their 90′s, and who loved butter more than them? They’d use a stick a meal.

Recipe looks yummy, and we love stew. I’ll try it..

Thank you!

2 Unknown Mami May 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm

That looks unbelievably good.

3 Dana @ Bungalow'56 May 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Oh Beth,
From one carb lover to another. This bread looks like heaven. Of course, I started my healthy eating plan today. (unseen is the terribly frustrated wringing of hands) I will keep this on file. Thank you.
Dana

4 Shana Putnam May 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Ooh girl, butter is a southern girl’s best friend. Well, after our Mama anyway! That bread looks so yummy.

5 angie May 17, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I just bought a loaf of rosemary thyme bread at the store. Guaranteed it won’t be nearly as good as yours. :)

6 Jessica May 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

This looks heavenly!

7 smilinggreenmom May 22, 2010 at 6:40 pm

This sounds so easy and yummy! I have a bread machine I use but I have not been super happy with the results and I would love to try a loaf on my own in the oven! Thanks for sharing this – I am going to try it using Kamut Khorasan Wheat since it is so healthy and seems to bake up so light and fluffy! Can’t wait :)

8 debbie August 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

trying it tonite!! p.s. with lots of butter on it :)

9 bean November 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I grew an herb garden this year and had yet to use my rosemary and wanted to make rosemary bread to go with a hearty beef stew my mother made. I did not have hours to spend on it, so I gave this recipe a go and used fresh thyme and rosemary (more than the dried amount called for) and its it delicious. It holds up great with the stew, it doesn’t break into millions of tiny soggy pieces after a long dip/soak. Yum! and quick. Thanks!

I also shaped the dough right on the buttered cookie sheet once i had it right in my hands – no need to goo up a board.

10 Michelle @ Italian Mama Chef February 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I wonder how this would work with olive oil? What do you think?

11 beth February 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’d try it, olive oil tends to work well with a lot of items. Worse case it doesn’t turn out or you find that you have to use half olive oil & half butter. But if it were me I’d try it :)