Sun-dried Tomato, Basil, Chicken Pasta

by beth on June 2, 2010

TCH_0227

We love our pasta here.  I mean it’s really quite an addic­tion.  I’m pretty sure I couldn’t, even if my life depended on it, go more than a week with­out pasta.  OK, I’m not sure I’d make it a few days.  For­get a week.

In the warmer days though, I’m not always feel­ing a big heavy sauce.  Instead some­thing light & fresh is more my pasta alley.  In comes a sun-dried tomato, basil, chicken pasta in an olive oil, red onion, gar­lic toss with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice & healthy dose of Parme­san.  You didn’t think I could do it with­out cheese did you?  Cheese, like manna from Heaven only cheesy & more local.

Here’s What You Need:

2 Chicken Breasts

3 Table­spoons of Olive Oil

1/2 Tea­spoon of Salt

1/2 Tea­spoon of Pepper

1 Whole Red Onion

3 Cloves of Garlic

1 Table­spoon of Dried Basil (3 Table­spoons of Fresh Basil Chopped)

2/3 Cup of Sun-Dried Tomato

Penne Pasta 1 Box

Pasta Water (save about 1/4 Cup)

1/2 a Fresh Whole Lemon

1/3 Cup of Parme­san Cheese

Feeds 6–8.  And takes about 15–20 min­utes to make.

How to Put it Together:

Start your water on a high heat, you are going to bring it to a boil while you pre­pare your chicken.  And you will also heat 2 Table­spoons of Olive Oil on a medium heat in a medium pan to cook your chicken & fixins.

TCH_0005

Take 2 chicken breasts.   I won­der if chick­ens ever dream of tak­ing two human breasts & mak­ing pasta from them?  That’s really a gross thought actu­ally.  I also apol­o­gize upfront to those who are, like, totally grossed out by chicken or raw meat of any kind.

TCH_0008

I’m obvi­ously not as grossed out by it.  Giz­zards I am still grossed out by.  How­ever, not cubed raw chicken.

TCH_0021

Add Chicken to the pan with the Olive Oil.  Cook through.  Wipe drool off your mouth.

TCH_0037

Salt & Pep­per the Chicken.  Don’t for­get to stir your chicken.

TCH_0063

While this is cook­ing through, chop 1 whole red Onion.   For those won­der­ing, this is NOT the same board that I cubed the chicken on. I used a larger board for meat & I have a smaller board for veg­gies & fruit.  I also just dis­cov­ered a won­der­ful wooden chop­ping board never opened or used in one of our stor­age bins that will get lots of use.

TCH_0093

Add your onion into the pan AND mince your 3 cloves of gar­lic, add right into the pan with the chicken along with the 1 remain­ing table­spoon of olive oil.

TCH_0106

Add your Basil.  I would have loved to use fresh basil when I made this & took pic­tures, I have had it with fresh & I loved it.  It was really good with dried basil as well.  But fresh gives it some more tex­ture, has that fresh from the gar­den old-world love & is really beau­ti­ful color.  How­ever, as Hubby told me “You work with what you have.”  That and it was rain­ing, he wasn’t going out in the rain to get the fresh after I real­ized I ran out.   I know, MEN! Not want­ing to go out in the pour­ing rain for some­thing I basi­cally had on hand.  Silly man.

TCH_0125

Then comes the Sun-dried Toma­toes!  I love these, there is a sweet­ness to them that pairs per­fectly with basil.

TCH_0127

Toss those sun-dried bad boys on in your pan.

TCH_0156

Anyway…while you are bring­ing it together the Pasta should be ready to add into boil­ing water.  Don’t over­cook your pasta.  Please.  No seri­ously, please. It should have a lit­tle chewi­ness to it not be a limp noo­dle.  No one wants a limp noo­dle, not in pasta not in life.   Then drain pasta.  Remem­ber to keep 1/4 cup of the pasta water AND DO NOT RINSE YOUR PASTA–this is a sin!  Rins­ing removes the good starch that helps your sauce stick.  And plus “Thou Shall Not Rinse Pasta” was part of the 15 Com­mand­ments. You know before Moses dropped the last 5.  Trust me, that’s totally true.  I saw it in a Mel Brooks movie.

TCH_0158

OK, add past to a large pasta bowl or some large bowl that you will pre­tend is made just for pasta, no one will judge you. I promise.  We got this bowl when we were mar­ried, from our brides­maids.  It gets a lot of use now with us sit­ting as a fam­ily around the table. Toss in your chicken and good­ies mix into the bowl.

TCH_0166

Hold your­self back from div­ing in.  Mix it all together with 1/3 Cup of Parme­san & Top with the fresh squeezed juice of 1/2 a lemon.  Add more lemon if you like.

TCH_0227

A per­fect pasta dish for a warm weather day.  Best to be passed around with fam­ily or friends, good con­ver­sa­tion & lots of laughs.  We had it for lunch, it’s was light enough for a mid-day.   Also, it’s really good the next day when you are all by your­self & steal­ing a few min­utes to just relax.  Trust me.  This much I know.

1 Ronnica June 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

Yum!

2 Kristy June 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Mmmm! Perfect for summer! And my husband would love it. Thanks for the recipe!

3 merry jennifer June 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This DOES look delicious. My husband is anti-tomato, so I may have to whip this up for me and the kids when he’s out of town sometime. Or just let him pick out the tomatoes. :)

4 Viva Towels June 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

This recipe looks delicious from beginning to end!

5 Dana @ Bunglaow'56 June 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I had no idea what to make for supper tonight. This looks so good, I’m stopping by the grocery store for the ingredients before I pick the kids up from school. We love pasta too. Thanks!

6 Mary June 2, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Umm, yum! This is a must must must make!

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

7 Joanne @ Barely Domestic Mama June 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Oh my goodness! I’ve got to try this. It looks delicious. And it doesn’t look too hard to put together. Yummy!

8 Joanne June 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I’m with you on the pasta. I’m pretty sure I could eat it every day and not get bored. Especially when it’s as tasty as this!

9 Alexandra June 3, 2010 at 9:29 am

That looks absolutely wonderful. Beautiful presentation, thank you.

10 Amy June 3, 2010 at 9:31 am

Came over from SITS. WOW this looks good.

11 Joyce @friendsdriftinn June 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

How much tomatoes?

12 beth June 3, 2010 at 11:21 am

@Joyce–
2/3 Cup of Sun-dried tomatoes, you can always add more if you like.

I also updated the post to reflect the amount!

13 Liam O'Malley June 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Eating the leftovers for lunch as I type… this was a yummy one. Thanks!

14 Emily June 3, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I too have a pasta addiction! This recipe looks delish – I’m bookmarking this page so I can make it later. Thanks for posting it!

15 Satakieli June 9, 2010 at 7:19 am

Found this via Taste Spotting. It looks wonderful and I have all the ingredients on hand, so guess what we’re having for dinner tonight?!

I, too, have a rather severe pasta addiction. My husband sometimes has to remind me that we’ve already eaten it every day for a week and he’d like something else please. What’s up with these men anyway?

16 Rachel Elizabeth July 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

My husband made this for dinner tonight and we loved it! Thanks for this good and easy recipe.

17 susan August 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I made this for dinner tonight and it was really good! I love love love the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil and would probably add a little extra next time. I did add a little more salt (I used kosher salt, so I don’t know if that made a difference) and forgot all about the parmesan, but it tasted great, nonetheless. This was a quick, easy, and tasty dish that I would definitely be making again soon. Thanks for the recipe!

18 Lauren March 26, 2011 at 12:49 am

Just wondering what the 1/4 of pasta water is for?

19 beth April 11, 2011 at 10:11 am

Helps make a light sauce for the pasta & the starch in the water will help bind ingredients together.

20 Joan August 5, 2011 at 6:20 am

Tried this yesterday and it was lovely, definitely going in my favourites file.
Once ingredients laid out it was so quick and easy. Might have a little more lemon juice next time.

21 Reilly March 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

As an 11-year-old, I’m a little bit on the picky side. But, when I saw my mom making this dish, I knew this was for me.

I absolutely, positively HATE tomatoes but I thought this was the most terrific thing ever! Besides chocolate.(:

22 Crystal December 14, 2012 at 9:29 pm

As we speak I am making this meal… I really wanted to do something special for my huband… I have not cooked a meal since, this fall semester started, and I am reaching my due date in my pregnancy…. This is to celebrate: Moving into our new home, the end of the semester for me, and just a month away from meeting our little Amelia :)

23 nicole February 4, 2013 at 1:37 pm

i am so happy with this! so delicious! instead of using 3 tablespoons of olive oil i used 1 and took 2 from the sundried tomatos! YUMM

24 Shi February 12, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Absolutely delicious. Definitely a new favorite!

25 Klaire February 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Eating this as I type this comment. It is so good. I love pasta as well but wanted something a little lighter, this fits the bill. So delicious, the only change I made was I left out the onion.
Thanks for the recipe.

26 Lin September 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Why did I keep pasta water? I missed what it says to do with it? Thanks!