Marinara Sauce: Tomato & Basil Sauce

by beth on July 19, 2010

TCH_0494

As I may have men­tioned some­where around 6,754 times I love all forms of pasta.  Hav­ing a sim­ple mari­nara sauce on hand works for toss­ing some pasta or top­ping a pizza, it’s also easy some­thing I need more of, ease.  Oh, did I men­tion pizza is another love here at case de con­fu­sion?  I’m guess­ing that the kids & Hubby could eat it once a day if I let them.  And so I love that with tomato & basil mari­nara sauce one night I will serve it with pasta & a salad then another night the same week we can make a cou­ple pizzas.

The kids are also all about attempt­ing to help with the pizza mak­ing, some­thing that has now lead them to ask things like “can we make our own pasta?”  How do I answer that? Because yes we CAN but am I ready to make that leap? Looks like I may be, heck I’m a new woman in a new year of life.  Pasta will be con­quered. And now onto the mari­nara sauce, sim­ple to con­quer & well worth the taste.

TCH_0423

What You Need:

24 oz. Canned Crushed Tomatoes

1 Table­spoon of Tomato Paste

3 Cloves of minced (or finely chopped) Garlic

1/4 Cup Olive Oil

7 Leaves of Fresh Basil finely chopped

1/2 Tea­spoon Pepper

1/2 Tea­spoon Salt

Pinch of Sugar

TCH_0448

How to Put it Together:

Heat the olive oil in a pan on a low heat & add in the minced gar­lic.  Cook for no more than 5 min­utes, burn­ing gar­lic can make it taste bit­ter, & add in the Table­spoon of pasta sauce.  Then add in your toma­toes, salt, pep­per, sugar & basil.   Let it come together for & sim­mer in the pan for about 30 min­utes.  That’s it.  You can top your pasta with it & then of course add a lit­tle Parme­san cheese.  OK, who am I kid­ding?  Go ahead & add more than just a lit­tle Parme­san after you get it to your dish!  And see I told you it was sim­ple while giv­ing you a nice clean & crisp mari­nara sauce.

1 zena July 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks, I needed a quick, easy Marinara sauce. But is that 6 cloves of garlic total? Or is that a typo?

2 beth July 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm

It should be 3 cloves, looks like the line was duplicated by accident. Thanks for letting me know I removed the duplicate line!

3 Dana @ Bungalow'56 July 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I just wanted to let you know, how amazing your food photography is. Do you hold these dishes up to a window to get that beautiful light? I can smell the sauce from here, even over the paint fumes at our house.
Dana

4 beth July 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I take the pictures with the food set on the kitchen table with no flash (we have pretty good natural light in the house), usually right before everyone digs in. I have to sometimes cut a kid outta the shot, LOL :)

5 beth July 21, 2010 at 11:21 am

One more time :)

6 Rachel July 21, 2010 at 8:10 am

Mmmm..pasta, a lady after my own heart! I too could eat pasta everyday given the chance (& expandable waisted pants!)
Your Marinara sauce looks divine. There are so many ways to make Red Sauce! I thought I’d share mine with you: http://www.cookyourlife.com/cook-your-life/2010/01/red-sauce.html
So glad I came across your blog via the Food Blog Forum, I look forward to reading more of your adventures!

7 beth July 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Pasta is wonderful! I agree red sauce is so versatile & I love that the same base ingredients can turn into so many different & amazing things.

8 Lynne @ CookandBeMerry July 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm

This has such simple ingredients, is easy to make, but so many uses. I love your recipe. Thanks.

9 beth July 28, 2010 at 7:30 am

It really does have so many uses, I love that there are a few food items out there that can do so much. Marinara is great this way

10 Megan July 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Yum! I also love a nice, good, easy marinara sauce!! =)

11 beth July 28, 2010 at 7:31 am

It is Yum! :) I don’t believe good food needs to be too complicated, most of the time simple can be so good!